Friday, January 18, 2013

Welcome to Athens

Every day here keeps getting better and better. I don't even know how that's possible. Today marked our first adventure into the beautiful and ancient city of Athens, and wow. I'm in love with this city I've only been in once.

We toured the the Acropolis area and saw the PARTHENON! It's in the process of being reconstructed so there was a crane there haha but it was still amazing. And the view? Nope. Can't even handle it. You could see everything in Athens, the whole city stretched below us.

Here's a panorama our director Dr. J took of the Acropolis view!



We're at the ACROPOLIS!

I'm in GREECE y'all!

More precious puppy dogs. Followed us on our tour.
The entire group (and dog) in front of the Parthenon

 After the Acropolis we visited Mars Hill, just a short walk from there. Mars Hill is the site where Paul spoke to the Athenians and delivered speeches. It was so powerful being able to stand where Paul once stood and imagine him speaking to the people of Greece.
My group standing and looking out from Mars Hill. Even though it was rainy, the view was amazing.


The speech from Acts 17 Paul is said to have delivered at Mars Hill.


We ate lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe in Athens afterwards -- I know, I know, that's not Greek food! We just went to the Parthenon and we're eating burgers? What! But hey, it was really cool.

The soda in Greece is different! I tried orange Fanta. Seriously tasted like fresh oranges were in there, with less syrupy taste.
We were able to walk about the city after that! Now, the streets in Athens are very narrow, the buildings are right next to each other, and the people drive really small cars. No trucks like in Texas. At all. And the whole city is a giant juxtaposition too; you can see modern styles mixed with ancient ones, graffiti right next to a bank or public office, an old beautiful church next to a new store. I can't wait to go back and explore more! (And buy things!! SO MANY SHOPS!)





Lastly we visited the Acropolis museum. So many ancient old things. Interesting, but most of us were so tired by that point that we were ready to head back to Porto Rafti!

View of the Acropolis from the museum


Greek student ID and ticket to get in

 Every day I'm here I am more and more excited about what's to come. I've only been here a few days, but it's beginning to feel like home. I know Porto Rafti a little better now. The Greek culture is so welcoming and friendly. And something changes in you once you see another country. I can't quite explain it right now. But it's happening. I'm not any different than I was when I arrived 2 days ago. And yet I am. Realizing there are other people and things outside my own little world--it's amazing. Going someplace you're unfamiliar with that is foreign and strange is humbling and very eye opening. What an amazing opportunity I have been blessed with.

Oh! Exchanged my American money with Dr. J and got some euros!! (This is the equivalent of $90 right here)


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful view, and the museum looked like so much fun. Talk about a cool semester! :D

    ReplyDelete