Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Yassou Greece!

I'M HERE. After 3 flights and a total of 14ish hours traveling, I'm in Greece.
And holy cow it's amazing.
To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, this is what I get to wake up to every morning:


It's absolutely breathtaking here. To welcome us into Greek culture our Greece directors picked us up from the airport in Athens and we drove back to The Artemis (our home for next 3 months!) in Porto Rafti.  We moved our stuff into our rooms and had a little down time before a quick orientation session.
Room 244 with the lovely Alli and Kelsey!

After orientation the Directors (Dr. J and Mama B) introduced us to their culture properly with an authentic Greek dinner: salad (onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, feta cheese, and olive oil), bread (with more olive oil), potatoes (like french fries, with you guessed it, olive oil), fried zucchini with cheese on top, and a choice of a pork or chicken gyro or a pork or chicken skewer. The gyro was seriously to die for. (DO NOT PRONOUNCE JY-RO. It is pronounced HERO.)




1st authentic gyro!
They taught us to say thanks to our hosts like this: F HARRY'S TOE. But put it all together and do your best to hide your American accent.

After walking back to the Artemis we had a job meeting, a name game, and tea time. Let me tell you, Greek nutella is AMAZING. Is it blasphemy to say it's better than ours?

Anyways, first day of classes tomorrow starting at 8:15. Despite being really jet lagged right now at 12:30AM Greek time, I'm completely wired. I'm so excited to be here and can't wait for the Porto Rafti tour tomorrow. But I'd better sleep, so I'm not dead tomorrow.
Kali Nichta! (Good night, another phrase they taught us tonight)


3 comments:

  1. I love your blog already! Tell Mama B, Papa J, Vicky, and Yianna hello for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha will do! They're fantastic people!

    ReplyDelete